Sunday 22 November 2009

Girls - A good thing?

I'm a bit at a loss over this band.



Tearing away from all the hipster hype there is definitely something to them.

I came across them by listening to this track (Lust for life):



As catchy as the song is, there is something in the lyrics that just rubs me up the wrong way. Probably the fact that:
- I don't wish I had a boyfriend
- I do have a father
- I'd like to think I turned out right
- I'm not crazy
- Or in fact totally mad
- And certainly not f@*ked in the head

However, I can most definitely sympathise with wanting:
- A sun tan
- A Pizza and a Bottle Of Wine (actually I have half a bottle in the kitchen)
- A Beach House
- Using it in a group to make a big fire every night

Then the matter of the x rated video that circled around following this one. Not really my cup of tea

Then there is Hellhole Rat Race:



The lyrics again. Very morbid and yet very candid. No clever word play or ambiguous metaphors here. Just a a big soppy teenage bedroom diary entry

And for that reason I find them quite refreshing, but in a voyeuristic way.